Gotlandia: Ett brädspel om det medeltida Gotland

Rickard

Superhero
Hade gärna hört mer om responsen du fick och hur du bearbetar den och om det ledde till några strukturella förändringar i spelet.

Frederik J. Jensen

Thoughtful Dane
Hade gärna hört mer om responsen du fick och hur du bearbetar den och om det ledde till några strukturella förändringar i spelet.
It takes time to process feedback and I am still in that process. Some feedback is very specific about how the game communicates rules or how I explained the rules at the table. One thing is what is said, another is how to act on it.

Like, I chose to give an overview of the game and rules, then get started and explain further rules as the game progressed. This naturally led to feedback of the type “I would have liked to have known how victory points are scored before.” In a complex game, first game is always a learning game. I positively knew that I had mentioned one such thing raised so there is also potential information overload.

Other feedback was of the kind “I would have liked the game to have a mechanic as in (game).” I’m always hesitant to add stuff so my initial thought was “thank you for sharing your opinion”. However, it did trigger me exploring the idea further which is what I am playtesting right now.

But I also picked up cues on where the play experience was less fun, some things I suspected got confirmed and so on. So my brain is working on ways to fix this without breaking other stuff.

Fundamentally, just seeing how concentrated experienced gamers engaged with the game confirms me that there is a great game in there to be iterated on further. Until perhaps one day it hits the shelves in your FLGS on Gotland.

Rickard

Superhero
Other feedback was of the kind “I would have liked the game to have a mechanic as in (game).” I’m always hesitant to add stuff so my initial thought was “thank you for sharing your opinion”. However, it did trigger me exploring the idea further which is what I am playtesting right now.
Det säger åtminstone någonting om var personen kommer ifrån, när det kommer till vilka spel den gillar.

Det lilla jag läste kändes solitt, men brädspel kräver testning för att kunna ge någon vettig respons till. Det är inte som rollspel, var mekanik mestadels är kopierade från andra rollspel och sällan är emergenta. Det är få gånger jag kan säga "Det här måste jag testa för att kunna ge svar på".

Leon

Leo carcion
Från vad jag förstod från en kollega som provade på spelet så var det kul ända tills pesten kom. Så det slutade på en downer så att säga. Är det något du funderar på att ändra?
Det lyfter ju en ganska grundläggande designfråga:
- Skall pesten vara kul?

Frederik J. Jensen

Thoughtful Dane
Det lyfter ju en ganska grundläggande designfråga:
- Skall pesten vara kul?
It’s a key element in the design that your empires take a beating in the third century (not just from the plague but also from pirates and war). You build your engine in the first two centuries and when you have played the game before you have an idea how to prepare yourself for when the plague hits (if it does, there is a chance that it doesn’t).

Not many games does that and I understand why people may not like it. Personally, I like my games to throw some trouble in my direction for me to overcome. Stopping the game early also feels not true to the theme. So it’s there to stay.

The game wraps up quickly after the plague, you get a few actions to mitigate the effects and there are new opportunities to explore. It also tend to hit leaders more than laggards which is nice.

Design wise it’s more about setting expectations early. I didn’t forewarn the plague at the LinCon games, there are many other things happening before it strikes.